It is my home, my neighborhood, and my history. It is what I am and where I came from. Embarrassing? Yes Boring? Never

Friday, August 8, 2008

Twas the Morning of Their Departure

Okay, I am going to have to Quentin Tarantino this last few weeks. I have been over the top crazy busy with my soldier et al here and they left today! I woke up at 8 expecting to see them almost ready to leave at the designated time of nine a.m., which, loyal readers, you know just was not going to happen! And such began the morning of their departure:

Twas the morning of their departure, when all through the house
Not a guest was stirring, not even a mouse.
No suitcases were packed to begin the day
Faint hopes that my visitors would soon be on their way


The grandchildren were nestled snug in makeshift beds,
While visions of memaw’s cookies danced in their heads.
And mamma and soldier resting in my master suite,
Not one were aware that time cannot be beat.

When out on the room there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my shock to see what was the matter.
Away up the stairs I flew like a flash,
Sprint into the hallway and with mamma I about had a crash.

The shock on her face as she scream the words “OH NO!”
Gave new meaning to the “WE HAVE TO GO!“.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But nothing was packed and the time was so near.

With me, little memaw, now so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it wasn’t a trick.
They will miss the funeral they had to attend,
And nothing was done, where should I begin!

"Now dress! now, pack! now, hurry and wake up!
Mamma go get breakfast, don’t step on the pup!
I will put on the coffee and bag up the toys
Now leap in to action, and help stir up the boys.”

Overwhelmed by the task and the sudden surprise,
They wondered about with a blank look in their eyes.
The had committed to help with a sad situation
Being there was very important, no time for mediation.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard from the kitchen
The whining and crying and a great amount of bitchin’
I drew in my tongue and with quick speed I was there,
Reminding them gently there was no time to spare.


They were all dressed in their Sunday flare,
Our soldier is so handsome I had to stop and stare
His clothes were all pressed by my loving hand
And he stood before me, such a good man.

His children, how they twinkled! Their smiles so bright!
Their cheeks were like roses, their shoes new white.
And mamma was running back and forth from the SUV
Loading and setting up the children with a DVD

This is their new vehicle, a really large one for sure
So that my soldier can feel a little secure
They have owned it just for one night
And now will travel two hours to do what is right.

The truck is so large , black, tinted, and grand
And I screamed when I saw it, in the house I had ran!
A wink of the lights and a shake of my head,
Soon gave me to realize I had nothing to dread.

It took two hours to finally get them on their next trip,
All clothes but the dirty were packed with zip
I waved my arms from the porch as they climbed aboard
And backing out the drive way my happiness soared

Pappa sprang from his ‘sleep’ and gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard them exclaim, ‘ere they drove on their way,
"We love you guys, we will be back on Monday!“

(I need a drink)

No comments: